xxx The territory which now constitutes Scott County was granted to the State of Mississippi and to the United States at the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek, concluded on September 27, 1830. The counties included in the Choctaw Purchase were Noxubee, Neshoba, Leake, Newton, Smith, Jasper, Clarke, Lauderdale, and Scott, all located in the central part of the state and six counties in other areas.
xxx The Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek stipulated that the Choctaw Indians leave the area of the Choctaw Purchase as quickly as they safely could. The number of Choctaws who emigrated to the Choctaw Nation west of the Mississippi River was reported by the Commissioner of Indian Affairs of 1838 to have been 15,177.
xxx Scott County, which was named for Governor Abram M. Scott, was formed on December 23, 1833. Governor Scott, a native of South Carolina, lived in Wilkinson county, Mississippi and served two terms as Lieutenant Governor.
xxx The members of the first Scott County Board of Police (now called the Board of Supervisors) were John Dunn, James Russell, Wade H. Holland, Stephen H. Bery, and Jeremiah B. White. Other Officials were Sheriff John Smith, Clerk of the Probate Court Nicholas Finley, and Probate Judge William Ricks.
xxx According to the first census taken after the organization of the county, there were only about 200 white families with an average of two slaves per family. During the next ten years the population almost tripled. Many settlers in the Scott County area came from, or were descendants of people who came from France, Ireland, England, Germany, and Scotland. The first white child born in Scott County, A.B. Smith, was born in Hillsboro but moved to Forest in 1869. He was both a lawyer and leading Democrat of the time.
xxx Another charter was granted on November 21, 1865, by the regular session of the legislature. At the time the town was one square mile in size and the depot was located in its center. A copy of this charter shows that the name of the town was spelled "Forrest".
xxx On May 10, 1930 when the population of the town had reached 2,170, Governor Theodore G. Bilbo issued a proclamation stating that the "Town of Forrest" should be designated the "City of Forest". In this charter the name of the town was spelled with only one "r". At the time this charter was issued, E.S. Palmer was serving as mayor and W.C. Steele as city clerk.
xxx Section I. Be it enacted by the legislature of the State of Mississippi. That the town of Forrest, in the county of Scott, Be and the same is hereby incorporated, and the corporate limits of said town shall run to the four cardinal points of the compass and form one mile square, to be laid off in such manner that the depot of the Southern Railroad company in said town, shall form the centre of said corporate limits.
Railroad and Telegraph
xxx In connection with the railroad there were soon telegraph lines, the Western Union, which ran parallel to the railroad, and the postal telegraph.
First Families and Events
xxx Settlers arriving in this beautiful forested area soon began to congregate in the area of the railroad. Forest was incorporated as town in 1860 and was being settled rapidly when the Civil War began. During the war Forest was almost a deserted village.
xxx Before completion of Mr. Brown's house, John C. Simmons and C. W. Pevey began construction of a hotel, the first building to be completed. In a small frame building in the yard of the Simmons and Pevey Hotel, the first printing press in Forest was operated by James P. Dement, aided by Pat Henry. The first livery stable was owned by Mr. Pevey. The hotel and livery stable were destroyed by fire several times but were rebuilt. Mr. Pevey, along with a Mr. Hood, later operated a department store on the main street of the town. Captain Simmons was the grandfather of Mr. George Antley, a long-time Forest business man who specialized in real estate.
xxx The first merchant to establish a business in Forest was Mr. Briscoe. Other businessmen of the time were Lod Moore, who owned a mercantile store; W.W. Lowry, T.M. Steele, who owned a department store, Make D. Graham, Morgan Colbert, Ben Wolf, G.C. Rew, G.H. Banks, and J.F. Story.
xxx A man named Mr. Eastland operated the first drug store, and Tom Mitchell owned a jewelry store. Dr. Hillard Gardner was a merchant who was also considered one of the best doctors of his time. The first post office was located in his store. In 1873, Henry Garett opened a blacksmith shop.
Other early settlers in the Forest area included the Harpers, Smiths, Hogans, Manns, Clark, Carols, Lacks, Singletons, Womacks, Hoods, Hendons, Granvilles, Millens, and Mitchells.
Early African-American Families
xxx People from Hillsboro stormed the new courthouse and set fire to the roof in hopes of totally destroying the new establishment. Their plot was foiled and only a small part of the courthouse was burned. People from Forest spent the rest of the night entrenched around the courthouse with guns, determined that no harm would come to their much desired courthouse.
xxx The result of the first elections were then suspended, and in the next election, Forest lost decisively. The intracounty turmoil was so great that it approached a small-scale war. Forest was dissatisfied and demanded another election. In the first week of May, 1873, the third and last election was held, and Forest won by a large margin.
xxx The city of Forest has had four courthouses. The first was a frame building and the second and third were built of brick. During the time the third courthouse was in use, people often gathered on Saturdays to listen to preachers or other speakers. Because of a faulty foundation, this third courthouse was replaced by the building which is in use today. All of the early courthouses had a watering trough for animals on the east side. An extensive renovation of the latest courthouse was begun in 1996.
Tombstone for six Confederate Soldiers
Close Up of Confederate Memorial - reads
SIX BRAVE SOLDIERS SLEPT HERE
1920 Court House